For the overall development, benefit and smooth operation of schemes made for inclusive growth and welfare of the weak and persons with disabilities, Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Department, Government of Uttar Pradesh was established on 20 September, 1995 by Government of Uttar Pradesh
According to Indian Census, year 2011, In Uttar Pradesh the total number of Person with various disabilities is 4157514. This figure is approximately 2.08 percent of total population of the state. These include persons with Visual, Hearing, Speech, Movement, Mental Retardation, Mental Illness, Multiple Disability and other disabilities.
The department in-keeping with its goals has established a network of schools catering literacy to persons with disabilities of different age-groups. Along with, residential hostels for students , establishment and operation of Braille Press as well as establishment of Dr. Shakuntala Mishra National University for Rehabilitation has been done to provide educational assistance to students affected from various kinds of disabilities.
Department has implemented various welfare schemes such as : Shelter Houses-cum-training Centers for Persons With Disabilities, Skill Development Centers, Grants, Pension, Aid and Auxiliary Devices/Artificial Limbs etc.
Besides this, various incentives such as for marrying PWDs, National/State Level Award for the people/organization providing support in the field of disabilities, utilizing the initiatives of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), the department is trying to fulfill its mandate as ordained by the Act.
Apart from the above, it is always striving for the all-round development and up-gradation of PwDs through reservation/rebate in various state/post-state services, through schemes to provide livelihood opportunities, such as shop construction operation scheme.
Creating a barrier free environment for accessible movement for the disabled, raising the living standards of the disabled by surgery and ensuring the development and participation of the quality of life.
Department is acting to develop more than one judicial, progressive judgment system and to develop awareness about specific circumstances of PWDs so that development of more integrated society can be done, by integrating the suggestions, experiences and expectations of various stakeholders, service providers, NGOs and reputed persons.
Major Responsibilities of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Department
- Implementation of National Policy with respect to the PWDs.
- To ensure social, educational and economic development of PWDs through various planned and non-planned schemes.
- Implementation of policies and programs of the Government of India related to development of PWDs.
- Coordination with National Institution working in the field of PWD-welfare.
- Interdepartmental coordination for developmental work related to PWDs.
- Reservation of PWDs in services and supervision of their employment status.
- Arrangement of assistive devices for PWDs.
- Special and vocational training for PWDs.
- Important Training to NGOs/parents/ government officials and staff.
- Aid and support to NGOs for PWD welfare related works.
- To obtain aid from State and Central public sector enterprises and Private sector enterprises/organizations/Trusts.
- Plans budget estimates and other administrative matters related to PWDs.
- To explore new avenues in light of global policy and initiative/exchange-programmes/technical support etc.