For the overall development, benefit and smooth operation of schemes made for inclusive growth and welfare of the persons (with disabilities) Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Department was established on 20 September, 1995 by Government of Uttar Pradesh
According to Indian Census, year 2011, In Uttar Pradesh the total number of Person with various disabilities is 4157514 which are approximately 2.08 percent of total population of the state. These include persons with Visual, Hearing, Speech, Movement, Mental Retardation, Mental Illness, Multiple Disability and any other disabilities.
The department in-keeping with its goals has established a network of schools catering to different categories of disability and age-group/literacy levels , residential hostels for students , establishment and operation of Braille Press as well as establishment of Dr. Shakuntala Mishra National University for Rehabilitation has been done to provide educational assistance to students affected from various kinds of disabilities .
Department has implemented various welfare measures such as : shelter houses -cum-training centers for Persons With Disabilities ,Skill Development Centers along with provisions of grants ,pension, aids and auxiliary devices/artificial limbs etc.
Moreover, with various incentives such as for marrying PWDs, National/State Level award for the people/organization providing support in the field of disabilities, utilizing the initiatives of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), the department is trying to fulfill its mandate as ordained by the Act .
In addition , through schemes of securing livelihoods such as shop construction/shop-operation scheme ,various state reservations/discounts , creation of barrier-free environment aimed at improving accessibility , surgical interventions for ensuring further participation by PWDs , the department is trying to create a holistic ,growth-enabling environment for improving the quality of life and standard of living.
To ensure upgradation of life standards through surgery, development of quality of life and partnership of PWDs and to construct hurdle less atmosphere for easy conveyance of PWDs
Department is acting to develop more than one judicial, progressive judgment system and to develop awareness about specific circumstances of PWDs so that development of more integrated society can be done, by integrating the suggestions, experiences and expectations of various stakeholders, service providers, NGOs and reputed persons.
Major Responsibilities of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) Department
- Implementation of National Policy with respect to the PWDs.
- To ensure social, educational and economic development of PWDs through various planned and non-planned schemes.
- Implementation of policies and programs of the Government of India related to development of PWDs.
- Coordination with National Institution working in the field of PWD-welfare.
- Interdepartmental coordination for developmental work related to PWDs.
- Reservation of PWDs in services and supervision of their employment status.
- Arrangement of assistive devices for PWDs.
- Special and vocational training for PWDs.
- Important Training to NGOs/parents/ government officials and staff.
- Aid and support to NGOs for PWD welfare related works.
- To obtain aid from State and Central public sector enterprises and Private sector enterprises/organizations/Trusts.
- Plans budget estimates and other administrative matters related to PWDs.
- To explore new avenues in light of global policy and initiative/exchange-programmes/technical support etc.