For the overall development, benefit and smooth operation of schemes made for inclusive growth and welfare of the persons (with disabilities) Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Department was established on 20 September, 1995 by Government of Uttar Pradesh.
According to Indian Census, year 2011, In Uttar Pradesh the total number of Person with various disabilities are 4157514 which is approximately 2.08 percent of total population of the state. These include persons with Seeing, Hearing, Speech, Movement, Mental Retardation, Mental Illness, Multiple Disability and any other disabilities.
The department in-keeping with its goals has established a network of schools catering to different categories of disability and age-group/literacy levels , residential hostels for students , establishment and operationalisation of Braille Press as well as a University meant primarily to serve the differently-abled segment (challenged students) of the society.
It has taken various welfare measures such as : shelter houses -cum-training centers for divyang destitutes ,skill development centers along with provisions of grants ,pensions,aids and assistive devices/artificial limbs etc.
Moreover,with various incentives such as : for marrying PWDs,utilisation of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives, the department is trying to fulfil its mandate as ordained by the Act .
In addition , through schemes of securing livelihoods such as shop construction/shop-operation scheme ,various state reservations/discounts , creation of barrier-free environment aimed at improving accessibility , surgical interventions for ensuring further participation by divyangjan ,is trying to create a holistic ,growth-enabling environment for improving there quality of life and living-standards.
Department has actively sought and gained participation of various stake-holders , service-providers,NGOs and eminent persons for an equitable , progressive and pro-active redressal & decision-making and establishment of a more egalitarian, more inclusive society.
Major Responsibilities of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) Department
- Implementation of National Policy with respect to the PWDs.
- To ensure social, educational and economic development of PWDs through various planned and non-planned schemes.
- Implementation of policies and programs of the Government of India related to development of PWDs.
- Coordination with National Institution working in the field of PWD-welfare.
- Interdepartmental coordination for developmental work related to PWDs.
- Reservation of PWDs in services and supervision of their employment status.
- Arrangement of assistive devices for PWDs.
- Special and vocational training for PWDs.
- Important Training to NGOs/parents/ government officials and staff.
- Aid and support to NGOs for PWD welfare related works.
- To obtain aid from State and Central public sector enterprises and Private sector enterprises/organizations/Trusts.
- Plans budget estimates and other administrative matters related to PWDs.
- To explore new avenues in light of global policy and initiative/exchange-programmes/technical support etc.